Welcome
Welcome to 28gasociety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Eliminate 28 gauge shot bridging.

Discuss ammunition and reloading here. Loads, components, equipment, ideas.

Eliminate 28 gauge shot bridging.

Postby shoota28 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am

Hey Guys,

I too am a 28 gauge reloader utilizing a MEC 9000G and a MEC 600 Jr. Although I cleaned, sanded, and polished the shot drop tubes and rammer tubes, I would occasionally experience the frustrations of shot bridging especially when reloading #7 ½ oz. shot.

My solution to this problem was to replace the rammer tube by utilizing a modified 20 gauge rammer tube rather than a 28 gauge rammer tube. The only 20 gauge rammer tube, I had on hand when I did the modifications, was from an old MEC 600 Jr. (pre 1982) I had. The rammer appears to be made out of steel not sheet metal. Call Ballistic Products, Shotgunners Supplies at 888-273-5623 they most likely should have these older steel rammer tubes in stock.

I used a small bench belt sander to sand and polish the OUTSIDE diameter to fit a 28 gauge shot wad cup. I also sanded and polished the inside diameter to clean up any burrs or rough spots inside the rammer and drop tubes. These modifications have completely eliminated my shot bridging problems. The replacement rammer tube has a larger INSIDE diameter than the original rammer tube. These modifications also work with reclaim shot and should work with other larger gauges.

Shoota28
shoota28

Re: Eliminate 28 gauge shot bridging.

Postby skeettx » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Hello shoota28 and welcome on your first post.
Great post
Yes, bridging can be a pain, not so bad with the 28 but a real
challenge with the 410, YUK

I find I can load up to #6 reasonable with the 28 but really do not have that need,
7 1/2 is about as small as I shoot in quantity. I have factory stuff for bigger.

I am using a Texan M loader and it really does a nice job on the old style AA hulls
that I use :D Should have enough to last me till I am DEAD !!

Post on
Mike
skeettx

Postby BobK » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I guess I must be lucky. Never had a bridging problem. But on the other hand, I don't load anything but target loads, and 8s are about as large as I go, with 7 1/2s very rarely.... My favorite shot size for clays in the 28 is 8 1/2s, and it breaks even long crossers.

BobK
BobK

Postby shoota28 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello,

Thanks skeettx for your comments. I normally reload #9 or #8 shot for my skeet loads, with no shot bridging problems. However, I like to reload and shoot #7 ½ shot for some 16 yard and handicap informal trap shooting, utilizing my 28 gauge shotguns. When I reloaded #7 ½ or reclaim shot, shot bridging would occur. My 20 gauge rammer tube modification has eliminated my shot bridging problems.

Shoota28
shoota28

Postby 28 gauge » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello shoota28.Welcome to the site. :)
28 gauge

Postby brdhntr » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:24 pm

In attempting to create 1 oz. #6 loads so I didn't have to shell out $22.00+/box for Rem. or Win. anymore, I ordered some Magnum wads from Ballistic Products recently. I began to find the large #6 shot hanging up in the tube of my 600 Jr. 28ga. loader, something I never experienced before, having loaded only 12 & 20 ga. for years in a Texan FW. I was not even aware there was a name for it, "bridging" until recently. I thought the only way to resolve "bridging" was to tap the handle a few times after each shot drop, until recently I read somewhere that simply raising the wad ram/feed tube up about half way off the bottom of the wad, but still inside the hull, let's the shot charge fall freely into the wad without backing up and therefore "bridging". Loaded a couple boxes of 1oz. #6's today, and only had a bridging occur when I forgot to raise the tube. Just a change of technique seems to do the trick.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the hardest to figure out.
brdhntr

Postby 28 gauge » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:11 am

brdhntr wrote:In attempting to create 1 oz. #6 loads so I didn't have to shell out $22.00+/box for Rem. or Win. anymore, I ordered some Magnum wads from Ballistic Products recently. I began to find the large #6 shot hanging up in the tube of my 600 Jr. 28ga. loader, something I never experienced before, having loaded only 12 & 20 ga. for years in a Texan FW. I was not even aware there was a name for it, "bridging" until recently. I thought the only way to resolve "bridging" was to tap the handle a few times after each shot drop, until recently I read somewhere that simply raising the wad ram/feed tube up about half way off the bottom of the wad, but still inside the hull, let's the shot charge fall freely into the wad without backing up and therefore "bridging". Loaded a couple boxes of 1oz. #6's today, and only had a bridging occur when I forgot to raise the tube. Just a change of technique seems to do the trick.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the hardest to figure out.

Sounds like a good tip,brdhntr.Thanks for posting.
28 gauge

Postby brdhntr » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm

No problem, 28 gauge, hope it helps.
Since you joined this honorable club 2 days before I did, and you have 1200 or more posts, I figured I'd better get moving!
:D Greg
brdhntr

Postby 28 gauge » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:31 pm

brdhntr wrote:No problem, 28 gauge, hope it helps.
Since you joined this honorable club 2 days before I did, and you have 1200 or more posts, I figured I'd better get moving!
:D Greg

Yes by all means get posting.I am getting tired of having to make up for your lack of posts. :)
28 gauge

Postby JeremiahAz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:59 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but I solved my 28 bridging problem by adding a couple of squirts of dry graphite in my shot bottle after I fill it & tip it up & down a few times. Shot has graphite on it anyway. I have a Mec 9000.
JeremiahAz

Next

Return to Ammo and Reloading