Welcome
Welcome to 28gasociety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Mec Grabber crushing brass in resize collet

Discuss ammunition and reloading here. Loads, components, equipment, ideas.

Mec Grabber crushing brass in resize collet

Postby littlebear15 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm new to reloading and started out using primed Fiochhi hulls from Ballistics Products. At the time it was all I could find and I was anxious to try reloading. They worked well and with no hazard fee connected to primed hulls were inexpensive enough for me since I can source powder locally. All went well with good crimps and no complaints. The trouble began when I started to de-prime and re-size the fired hulls. The brass rims are being crushed. I checked all the back posts in this section and some of the posts on Shotgun World and the answer seems to be that the "wad guide" is a bit too low. There is no item termed a "wad guide" on the exploded view of the Mec Grabber. There is a wad finger and wad rammer tube, but nothing termed a wad guide. Even if I could find a wad guide I'm not sure that I understand the relationship between the resize collet and the wad guide or how to adjust the wad guide. I know the knee bone is connected to the leg bone but I need help on this one. Thanks for any insight. It's well appreciated.
littlebear15

Re: Mec Grabber crushing brass in resize collet

Postby MAX & TOBY » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Go on SGW and send a message to "Curly No-Hair" or DL Marcum.
you can't buy accuracy.
MAX & TOBY

Postby chip » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:44 pm

The wad guide is the plastic piece with the fingers in it that you place the wad on at station 3. There is an allen head screw, loosen it, raise it just a tad at a time, and the problem should disappear.
chip

Postby Scoutmaster » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

It is indeed the wad guide (so called as it “guides” the wad into the case mouth) on your Grabber that is causing the problem. The item is on Station #3 where you insert the wad into the holder with the fingers. It is adjusted by loosening the allen screw and moving the guide up. The rod the guide is attached to goes through the reloader base and is attached to the shell lifter bracket that moves the shell lifter found at the bottom of the resizing collet on Station #1. Some varieties of hulls are slightly longer than others requiring minor adjustments. See pg 12 in your owner’s manual for adjustment – don’t have one? You can download it from MEC’s web site.

If the wad guide hangs up on the case mouth, it does not allow the wad guide rod to drop down far enough. This in turn does not allow the shell lifter to drop far enough so that the case rim does not fit into the recess. Hence the case is crushed when the collet closes.

Questions, drop me a note.
Scoutmaster

Postby skeettx » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:37 pm

One other thing to inspect,
Is the "Shell Lifter" in the collet sizer, part number 108
Often they fall out during shipment or movement.
Mike
skeettx

Postby littlebear15 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Thank you all for the advice.
littlebear15

Postby BobK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:44 am

Forget the "wad guide" BS and listen to skeettx. It's a resizing problem.

BobK
BobK

Postby Scoutmaster » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 am

Sorry Bob for once we disagree, the wad guide rod controls the height / depth of the shell lifter plate on a grabber and it's how the wad guide sits on the case mouth that controls that lift. If the shell lifter is missing from the collet, the case will drop to the bottom and will need to be lifted from the collet after sizing; It will not raise when the handle is lifted.

The is another possibility; if the spent primer tray is overly full it will interfere with the shell lifter. But this is more common in the older 761 & 762 models as they raised the base on the 8567 model.
Scoutmaster

Postby BobK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't aware of that relationship.

BobK
BobK

Postby rexr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:29 am

Over on the SGW website, someone was experiencing shell damage and poor chamber fit. He found the sizer ring had split. New sizer ring and he was back in business.
rexr

Return to Ammo and Reloading