Welcome
Welcome to 28gasociety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Search for a 28ga scaled frame O/U

Discuss 28 Ga ShotGuns in this Forum.

Search for a 28ga scaled frame O/U

Postby Mec78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:39 am

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm in the market for a used 28 gauge O/U on a scaled frame (or at least low profile). I've seen RRL's floating around in the $1200 to 1300 range (high for a used RRL but they fetch a premium now that they're discontinued). I've also considered the Browing Cynergy Feather, Franchi Renaissance and the Beretta SP1. This will be a field gun for grouse and woodcock. I'm looking for a low profile gun that tops out at 6lbs +/- and is in the vicinity of $1500 to 1600 before I fool around with shipping and FFL transfer fees. Am I missing any models? What are good used prices for each of the aforementioned models. Also does anyone have experience with the Franchi's? Info on them seems to be scarce as to the profile of the frame.

Thanks for the help,
Mec
Mec78

Re: Search for a 28ga scaled frame O/U

Postby 28 gauge » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 am

I have a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label.Nice scale frame 28 gauge shotguns.Yes the price on them has been increasing since Ruger discontinued the RRL.Now might be a good time to purchase one as I expect the price on the 28 gauge Ruger Red Label will continue to rise on them.

Welcome to the site.Please keep us informed on what you finally purchase.
28 gauge

Postby DanKing » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:17 am

Just an FYI, the Cynergy Feather is actually on the 20 ga frame; it is still a very light gun, though.

You seem to have locked in on O/U's, and your price range is clear. If you can find a Beretta Baby Frame in your range, jump on it. Much more likely to find an RRL, though. In any event, good luck on your purchase, and please post pics here when your new baby arrives!
DanKing

Postby Mec78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks. I figured that the browning was on the 20 gauge frame. My criteria are weight around 6lbs, low profile and 28 gauge (of course)
Mec78

Postby two pipe shoot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Look for a second hand Beretta Whitewing in 20 gauge. 5lb.s/14oz. with a split stack and 3" chambers. Beretta made the gun in 20 and 12 and quickly discontinued it when they started cutting into the sales of higher priced models. I've got over 4,000 rounds through my 20,and its still much faster than I am. I bought mine second hand for $800 8 years ago. Haven't looked at the market for these in a while.

Reno
two pipe shoot

Postby Mec78 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi Reno.

Thanks for the info. I owned a Beretta White Wing in 12ga. Nice gun but I couldn't hit anything with it.
Mec78

Postby Keokira » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 pm

I bought a CZ 28 O/U and could not be more pleased with it. It weighs a 6lbs and is built on a small frame. I have put approximately 500 rounds through it and had no problems. At least mine fits me well and I shoot it well. Prior to the CZ my main hunting gun was a Ruger 20 ga O/U. My CZ handles much nicer besides being much lighter. You get five different chokes with this CZ and the the price won"t break the bank.
Keokira

Postby Weagle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Keep an eye out for a Savage Milano or a Verona 501. They are pretty much the same gun built by FAIR (Rizzini). They sell for around $1000 used in excellent condition.

I have a Beretta silver Pigeon 1 with 30" barrels and I absolutly love it. I think they are an excellent value, but they are just a little north of the budget you stated.
Weagle

Postby willy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 am

huglu come out at a tad under 6lb with a cutable long stock low profile rib but mit be a bit on the cheaper side i like mine
willy

Postby Stoneke » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am

I have a LX900 made by FAIR, that is an exceptional example of Italian gunmaking. It weighs just under 6# with 28" barrels. The coin finished receiver has "currency plate style" game scene engraving that is very well done. All this for the used price of about $1700. I believe that these were initially priced well into the $3000 bracket and were imported by New England Arms. I think this is one of the best values in a quality, scaled 28 ga O/U.
Stoneke

Next

Return to 28 Ga. Shotguns