Welcome
Welcome to 28gasociety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Testing the STS and AA HS Hulls for Reload Ability

Discuss ammunition and reloading here. Loads, components, equipment, ideas.

Testing the STS and AA HS Hulls for Reload Ability

Postby templetk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:46 pm

I have over time, read a great deal concerning how many times a person can reload AA HS and STS hulls, but I have never tracked it myself. I just reload them until they are shot out and throw them away (with a tear in my eye).

Just to let anyone know who might be interested: I’ve decided to test the reload ability of Remington’s STS and Winchester’s AA HS hulls in the 28 gauge. The STS and AA HS are loaded with: 13.1 gr 20/28, Winchester 209 primer, Red Duster wad (WAA 28HS clone) and ¾ oz of 8.5 shot. I’m reloading seventy five (75) of each for a total of one hundred fifty (150) rounds.

I’m only firing them at my gun club, so, I thought it would take me awhile to shoot them out, wrong. After reloading and firing them twice (2) I lost 50% of the STS hulls, after firing. As for the AA, they look great. I have what is left of the STS reloaded for the third time (3) and ready for the club along with the AA, but I think I’m about to lose most of the STS next week.

At this point I believe my testing will be centered around the AA’s, there performance and longevity.

I’ll keep everyone posted if you’re interested.

See everyone next week (Wednesday night) on this issue.

Ken
USMC 64-68 Vet
templetk

Re: Testing the STS and AA HS Hulls for Reload Ability

Postby 28 gauge » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Very interesting test.From all reports the WWHS are suppose to be the best.After your tests we will have proof one way or the other. :)
28 gauge

Postby BobK » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:50 am

The STS will reload a lot better with the old pink WAA28 wad, NOT the red HS variety (same is true for the Claybuster and Duster "clones").

The HS type red wad is too large in diameterfor the STS, and you will have premature hull failures.

Even using the correct wads, I get 4 to 5 good reloads out of my STS hulls, and over twice that for the AA-HS hulls.

BobK
BobK

Postby wwbirds » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Like many others I have been warned the STS hull is not worth saving as it doesn't stand up to reloading like the HS.
Maybe it is the configuration of the wads that causes premature failure but I have not heard anything good about them.
Just picked up a few thousand Remington SP wads so it would have been interesting to see if the old Remington wads increased the longevity of the Remington hulls.
wwbirds

Postby 28 gauge » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:33 am

Perhaps you can get lucky and find some Remington hulls to try those sp wads in.Would be interesting to see what happened.
28 gauge

Postby BobK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 am

The majority of Rem hulls "fail" in the crimp area. The factory apparently "skives" 'em so thin at the crimp that they get charred quickly from repeated firings.

At least, that seems to be the cause of the failures as it occurs in my reloads.

BobK
BobK

Postby Shriner » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:13 am

Maybe it's your powder choice ! I've never used 20-28.

I mostly reload Win. AAHS but do reload about 1,000 Rem. STSs a year.

I use Li'L Gun and Green dot. I've noticed that the AAHS hulls do well with both powders. About 10 reloads more or less per hull.

The STS hulls do OK, about 5-6 reloads with Green dot , but only about 3 with Li'L Gun.

Although I have no knowledge of the burn and heat rates of Green Dot or Li'L Gun, I suspect there is a difference. The charts say there is a slight perssure difference.

The STS hulls may be thinner at the mouth as well. AND they have a deeper dished crimp.( than the AAHS) Maybe this deeper crimp (fold) over works the plastic. Both apon firing and reloading.

Shriner
Become a SHRINER...Help KIDS
Shriner

Postby templetk » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:08 am

Just to clarify things, I’m testing just the 28 gauge hulls. As far as the STS 20 gauge they do very well. But the 28 seem to fail quickly: so I’m testing just them (28ga). The 12 and 20 gauge in the STS holds up very well and I have no complaints in that area.

Bobk, is correct, Remington does “skive” there hulls because it makes them easier to crimp at the factory, but reduces their reload ability. As for using a WAA28, I try to use my money wisely, as any reloader, and I stay away from the WAA28 and go with the aftermarket brands.

Other respondents seem to think it may be the powder, and it may, but after talking to many people concerning STS and HS, the speed of hull deterioration does not seem to have a big impacted on hull live.

Because I use a powder that gives me utility in both 20 and 28 gauge, I want to find a hull that will give me “The most bang for my buck.” When I most buy factory shells to shoot there is no difference in price between STS and AAHS so the one that last the longest will be the winner.

I will know more after I shoot at the club tomorrow night. I will post again on Thursday.

See ya’ll then,
Ken
USMC 64-68 Vet
templetk

Postby BobK » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Templetk - The 28 HS hulls (.410s. too!) have about twice the life of the 28 STS hulls.

The 28 ga. HS gives me the most "Bang for the buck".

But if you go to the 12 and 20, the Rem hulls are preferred! (GO FIGURE ???????)

BobK (also former USMC Sgt. - 1952 - 1955)
BobK

Postby templetk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:17 am

Well, the STS hulls are finished in my testing! With three (3) reloading: I started with 75 and I’m down to 12, not even enough for one (1) round of skeet. If you take into consideration that some should have been tossed out after the second (2) reload, they did not perform very well at all. Very disappointing.

As for the AA HS hulls, still going strong with no signs of decay, as a matter of fact, they look dam good. I can’t wait to see how many reloads I will get with them.

I will get back to posting more as the AA’s begin to fail.

Ken
USMC 64-68 Vet
templetk

Next

Return to Ammo and Reloading