Welcome
Welcome to 28gasociety

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Tikka .222/12 Gauge Over Under

Talk about your Non-Shotgun firearms here.

Tikka .222/12 Gauge Over Under

Postby forge35 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:52 am

Not sure how many of you may have one, or have heard of these gun's, but they are amazing guns. My Dad has owned one for year's and we have both always loved this gun. It's the ultimate turkey, varmit and predator gun. I had been wanting to get my own for a while and I was looking around to get one, but whenever I could find one, everyone wanted $1000-1500 for them. I finally stumbled across one back in January at a local gun shop for $499. I bought it on the spot and was so excited for the great deal I had found on a somewhat rare and amazing gun. The shop must not have known what the value of these gun's will fetch, because the gun was in amazing shape and I found nothing wrong with it. After comparing mine and my father's, it was apparent that our's were made in two different time era's. Mine is one of the original's from the 60's whenever Tikka still made them. My Dad's appears to have been made in the 80's whenever Armsport was making these guns. While his has a little fancier wood and a few of the newer bells and whistle's, they both are great looking guns and they shoot dead on. I know Savage and Remington both made similar rifle/shotgun combo gun's but the quality just doesn't compare. Does anyone else have one of these guns? If so, what do you think of them?
forge35

Re: Tikka .222/12 Gauge Over Under

Postby JeremiahAz » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:38 pm

I don't have a Tikka, but I do have a Savage .223 over 12 mag. It ain't near as "purty", but it is a fine shooter for called coyotes. I hate the look of the synthetic stock tho! :cry:
JeremiahAz

Postby Pine Creek » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:05 am

Forge35,
I have the Savage model 24 DL 22Mag/20Mag shotgun, infact I just had the breech mechanism replaced, the gun had been used so much both by me as a boy, and by the men who vist our place in Potter/Tioga for Turkey, Fox and Coyote, that the breech dropped open after firing the shotgun, it is awaiting pick up at the gun smith where new parts were installed. Great little Turkey and Varment gun, extremely accurate with just iron sights, the Tikka is the same engineering package.
Pine Creek
Last edited by Wallfire on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pine Creek

Postby JeremiahAz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:56 pm

I also have the little old Savage in .22 lr & .410. It's a great little squirrel & camp gun.
JeremiahAz

Postby J. R. Weems » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

forge35 wrote:Not sure how many of you may have one, or have heard of these gun's, but they are amazing guns. My Dad has owned one for year's and we have both always loved this gun. It's the ultimate turkey, varmit and predator gun. I had been wanting to get my own for a while and I was looking around to get one, but whenever I could find one, everyone wanted $1000-1500 for them. I finally stumbled across one back in January at a local gun shop for $499. I bought it on the spot and was so excited for the great deal I had found on a somewhat rare and amazing gun. The shop must not have known what the value of these gun's will fetch, because the gun was in amazing shape and I found nothing wrong with it. After comparing mine and my father's, it was apparent that our's were made in two different time era's. Mine is one of the original's from the 60's whenever Tikka still made them. My Dad's appears to have been made in the 80's whenever Armsport was making these guns. While his has a little fancier wood and a few of the newer bells and whistle's, they both are great looking guns and they shoot dead on. I know Savage and Remington both made similar rifle/shotgun combo gun's but the quality just doesn't compare. Does anyone else have one of these guns? If so, what do you think of them?

I had one for years- an original. Would take out a turkeys eye out at 100 yards with my hand load. Only problem I ever had was the little screw on the bottom of the trigger, or there about's came loose and it would not always go off on the 222. Once I figured out the problem, a bit of LOCKTITE took care of it and it was never a problem after that. You got a steal on yours for sure. :) CONGRATS!!!
J. R. Weems

Postby forge35 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Well, I managed to take my first turkey with my Tikka on Wednesday. I walked an entire ridge on the mountain and I walked back down to my truck and I heard a bunch of scratching and yelping. I snuck over to the edge of the little clearing that I was parked at and there in front of me stood about 30 turkeys just grazing away. I picked out a big hen and the rest was history.
forge35

Postby skeettx » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:38 pm

YEEEEE HAWWWW, Congratulations, well done !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanksgiving Dinner for sure :D

This is one I deep fried :shock:

Mike
skeettx

Postby forge35 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:07 pm

That looks great. I normally just breast mine out.
forge35

Postby forge35 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Figured I'd post this in case any one cared to see my gun and my bird

forge35

Postby skeettx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:11 pm

YES, thanks for showing
SWEET!!!
Great gun and wonderful bird.

Mike
skeettx